How to Unpack After Moving House – Hints & Tips from Smartmove North East
Moving house is stressful enough and then when you finally have the keys you then have the daunting task of unpacking. We have put together some hints and tips of how to unpack after moving house which will enable you to enjoy your new home quickly and stress-free on your moving day and in the days and weeks after.
The key to a successful and stress-free move is planning and preparation and if you are organised with your packing then unpacking will be so much easier.
Hints & Tips for Packing when Moving House
- Declutter so you only move the belongings that you actually want to have in your new home
- Source some good quality boxes with lids that can be taped shut. A good removal company will be able to supply you with these
- Pack boxes by room, packing the heavier items at the bottom and lighter items at the top. Spread the weight of heavier items between your boxes, use smaller items to fill the gaps and bedding and furnishings to wrap fragile items
- Don’t overfill the boxes so they are bulging or too heavy to lift
- Use a permanent marker pen to clearly label your boxes
- Label your boxes by room with an overview of what’s in them so when you get to your new home you can easily find what you need and can prioritise which boxes you unpack first
- Number your bedrooms and bathrooms (upstairs/downstairs) and, or, put your family’s names on the boxes so your removal team know which bedroom to put each box when they unload
- Wrap any fragile items in bubble wrap, again good removal companies will be able to provide this for you
- Seal your boxes securely with good quality tape and always do it on the top and bottom of every box
- Tape remote controls to the back of your TV’s
- Pack a moving day survival box which you can go to as soon as you get your keys to your new home. Include things that will get you through the day and pack it into your car so you have it when you first get the keys to your new home. This might include toiletries you might need, toothbrushes, toothpaste, toilet paper, soap, pyjamas, towels, tea towels, phone chargers, bottles of water, snacks, things to keep the children occupied, mugs, the number of plates and knives and forks you need for your first day, kettle, tea and coffee and cleaning products that you will need when you first get into your new home
Martyn works for Smartmove Northeast as a marketing specialist. He takes great pride in creating quality content for people looking for a removal company in Newcastle.