How to Add Value to your Home before Moving discussed by Smartmove North East
There are some really simple and reasonably quick ways to Add Value to your Home before you put it on the market which will also make it more appealing to potential buyers. The first thing to do is walk around your home and make a list of things you need to do as you go, these can include;
A home will always be much more appealing and feel a lot bigger to potential buyers if the rooms are clean and uncluttered. Declutter by room and take anything you don’t need to the charity shop or try selling it on free local facebook pages or using free selling sites. If you have big items you want to get rid of then advertise them on these sites as well and if they don’t go then advertise them as ‘free to collector’ and this takes away the job of moving them yourself as well as having a vehicle big enough to move them.
Declutter and tidy your loft and garage and this will also save you a lot of time when you move as you will only be taking the belongings that you still need and use.
This is the first step to add value to your home.
If you need to refresh any walls, ceilings, skirtings and sills then give them a lick of paint. Using neutral colours and tones will make a room look bigger, be more appealing and feel like more of a blank canvass for potential buyers. If the walls don’t need painting then wipe away any marks with a Magic Eraser Sponge, these are brilliant and wipe away dirt and marks without removing the paint. This will add value to your home and make it more appealing to potential buyers as well as increasing its value as it will look clean and fresh when estate agents come round to value it.
Look at the room and decide if you need any storage solutions to ensure your belongings including; toys, paperwork, shoes, clothes aren’t on display when people are viewing your home as this will put them off. You can look for storage on the free selling sites and if you don’t find anything suitable then look in your local DIY shops to see if they have anything suitable. Remember, don’t go over the top with storage as again it can make a room look smaller, cluttered and less appealing.
Cleaning Cleaning Cleaning
Clean, clean, clean each room as you go, wipe sills and skirting boards, dust and give your carpets a deep clean. This will make your home more appealing and will add value to your home.
Cleaning Internal and External Doors and Windows
Give them a clean and a polish and this will make your home look much fresher and more appealing to potential buyers.
Small defects create an impression of a house being run down or not well cared for so look out for:
- Mouldy sealant in kitchens or bathrooms
- Dripping taps
- Limescaled taps and accessories in your kitchen and bathroom
- Peeling paint
- Dirty walls, especially near doors frames and around light switches
- Lightbulbs not working
You can easily refresh carpets and remove stains with some simple home cleaning solutions. If this doesn’t do the trick then a professional clean normally does, as long as the carpet isn’t too old and worn. If it is old and worn then you may need to consider replacing it although this can be an expensive refresh so look to see if you can revamp it with a rug or runner to divert potential buyers and estate agents eyes away from it.
Refreshing your Kitchen & Bathroom
If your kitchen or bathroom is looking a bit old and tired then give the walls a lick of paint, clean the grout and if you need to you can now revamp your cupboard doors on a relatively small budget by painting them and replacing the door handles. Clear and tidy your cupboards as remember potential buyers will always open doors and have a look inside. Think about your lighting and keep your work surface clear which will all make a big difference to the feel of your kitchen.
If you need to, re-grouting, removing limescale and replacing old taps are a good option and will make your kitchen and bathroom look refreshed, clean and more appealing to potential buyers, as well as increasing the value of your home when it comes to having it valued by an estate agent.
Clearing the Garden
When an estate agent or potential buyer walks up to your front door their first impression is key. Weed and cut back any garden areas you need to, sweep and or jet wash your driveway and wipe down front doors, garage doors and window sills, all of this will make it look fresh, clean and much more attractive. Do the same in your back garden, give your garden furniture a clean and jet wash any patios or decking if they need it. A garden should feel like extra living space for entertaining or relaxing when the weather is good and you can make the most of this in almost any garden with a little bit of time and work.
An attractive, tidy and well laid out garden front and back will add value and appeal to a property, an untidy and overgrown garden will make a home look unkempt and more work for potential buyers which will put them off as well as you potentially being offered a lower price for your home.
When you have ticked everything off your list it will be hugely satisfying and you will be proud of what you have achieved. The next step is for you to invite a couple of estate agents around to value your home. Before they come round, do your own research and look at how much houses similar to yours in your area have sold for in the last 12 months. This will help you understand if estate agents are valuing your property at the right price and if you think they are under or overvaluing your property you can ask them why using the information you have already gathered. Always negotiate on the fees that they first quote you and check the contract thoroughly before you sign to make sure you are happy with it.
Smart Move North East Removal & Storage Services
Smart Move North East is a family-owned business and we offer home, office and commercial removals locally and nationwide. Our expertise and knowledge will ensure your move goes smoothly as we understand there is no such thing as a “standard” move.
We offer a variety of moving services including; a full packing and moving service which means you can leave your removal to us in the days leading up to your move and on your moving day. You can pack your belongings yourself and we will load, transfer and unload them for you on the day of your move and we can provide you with packing and clothes storage containers in the weeks leading up to your move to make your packing easier.
We offer a free and no-obligation survey to talk you through our services and how much each one will cost so you can decide which service is best for you and your budget.
Our Storage Facilities
We have a purpose-built, safe and secure Storage Facility if you need it in the short or long term which can make your move and unpacking much easier.
- Collection & delivery service
- Fully insured
- Secure & dry facilities
- Short & long-term agreements offered
- Stackable storage packing containers available to purchase
- Stackable moving crates available to rent
- Customer collection available
- No minimum order
- Security seals available for added protection
- Environmentally-friendly cardboard packing container replacements
What are the Benefits of Choosing Smart Move North East for your Move/
- We can come in 24-48 hours before your move and wrap and pack your belongings so they are ready to be loaded on your moving day, saving you time and stress in the lead up to your move
- Each box is labelled and unloaded into the same room of your new home saving you a lot of time when unpacking
- We offer a dismantling and reassembling furniture service
- We take away the worry of how you will load and get your furniture into your new home (doorways and upstairs)
- You don’t need to worry about hiring a van or lorry, having the right licence to drive it and making numerous trips back and forth to your new home
- We load and unload your boxes and furniture for you, saving you the worry of lifting heavy items and potentially injuring yourself
- Our skilled teams will ensure that you are out of old home at the time that you need to be as our experience ensures we know exactly how much time is needed to pack and load
- You won’t have to ask friends and family to help you move
- Your belongings will be stored overnight at our secure site and our team will stay with them on the day of your move until you have the keys to your new home
- We are fully insured against any damage or breakages that can happen when moving
- You can unpack your belongings in the days and weeks after your move and we will pick up the empty boxes at a convenient time for you
- You can enjoy your new home on your moving day and take your time to unpack and get organised whilst we do the hard work
- Our team are professional, highly experienced, careful and efficient as they have the experience and know-how for efficient removals
- Our services will save you time in the weeks and days leading up to your move, on the day and the weeks after your move
If you are Moving Home and need a professional, reputable and reliable moving or storage company then contact us today on 0191 2449311 and one of our team will be able to answer any questions you may have and they can arrange a free, no-obligation survey, at a time to suit you.
Martyn works for Smartmove Northeast as a marketing specialist. He takes great pride in creating quality content for people looking for a removal company in Newcastle.